Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday is dance night for my daughter, so typically this is a crock pot day or something easy. This afternoon when I got home from picking up my daughter at daycare I made my favorite soup. Here in central PA we have a great chain of restaurants called Isaac's. Amazing sandwiches and the best soup I have ever had- Pepperjack Tomato. I did a Google search for some recipes and found one I ended up modifying. Monday's tweaking of the recipe resulted in the best ever soup. It freezes really well so now we have another dinner ready to go in the freezer for another night. I also added a garlic crostini to tonight's meal and it was equally as amazing as the soup!

Pepperjack Tomato Soup
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes (I used one regular and 1 can of tomatoes with garlic and onion)
3 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 can water
1.5 cups milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
4 oz cream cheese (softened block or Philly Cooking Cream Cheese)
2-4 oz pepperjack cheese (I grated it this time and it actually melted in the soup instead of being chunky)
Dash Tabasco sauce

1. In a large saucepan or I used my 10 qt. pot, saute onion in butter, until tender, add garlic. Stir in tomatoes, soup, water, milk, sugar, basil, and paprika. I do this over med-low heat.

2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese and pepperjack cheese. Serve immediately or reheat as needed.

Sorry- no servings or nutrition information.

Garlic Crostini

1 loaf of french bread
butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray)
garlic salt

Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices. Spray each slice with butter spray. Top with garlic salt and toast in toaster oven until golden and crispy. Serve on the side with soup. I like to dip mine in the soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment