Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I could eat chicken every night of the week, but my DH (dear husband) would tire of that very quickly. So, we've been adding pork products into our repitoire recently. Tonight's dinner features Glazed Ham Steaks with Sauteed Apples. I was afraid it would be "too much sweet, " but it actually wasn't. The marmalade on the ham really mellows out with cooking and the cinnamon in the apples balances the sugary sweetness. For three nights in a row my hubby has praised my cooking... and genuinely meant it!

Glazed Ham Steaks and Sauteed Apples
Ham Steaks (one for each person you are cooking for)
Mackay's Orange Marmalade with Champagne
2 Golden Delicious Apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
1/4 cup water (I think I forgot this last night!)
2 tsp canola or vegetable oil (I used Right Balance's soy, vegetable blend)
2 tbsp dark brown sugar (I used the Splenda mix)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place ham steaks in a baking dish and top with just a touch of water (enough so that the bottoms are in, but the tops aren't covered). Top each ham steak with 2 tbsp of marmalade (or as much as you would like) and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

2. While the ham steaks cook, start working on the apples. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add apple and remaining ingredients. Cook 8 minutes or until apple is tender and golden, stirring occassionally.

Using MyFitnessPal to track my calories this meal came in at 489 calories for the meal. That's 325 for the ham (thanks to the marmalade adding an extra 100 calories- so that can be skipped if needed) and 164 calories for 1 cup of apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment