Friday, December 16, 2011

White Christmas Candy

Well, just like with a lot of things I begin, I am finding that maintaining a weekly blog is becoming a bit too much. I am going to change the format a bit and just post recipes for new meals we've tried and liked. With the holidays being right around the corner there's not a whole lot of experimenting going on in the kitchen... but there is plenty of baking and candy making. Here's my favorite recipe for a super easy, super delicious Christmas candy. It stores well, freezes well, and everyone I've ever given it to just absolutely raves about it!

We're blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) to be surrounded by candy/chocolate producing companies here in central Pennsylvania. Hershey is just a 30 minute drive away, but about 10 minutes from our home there is a fabulous little company called Wilbur. Their Wilbur Buds are way tastier than the kisses! I love to use their candy supplies to make this bark, but you can use any form of candy wafers. I actually did two different batches this year after I burned a pound of Wilbur white chocolate wafers. Both are very, very good... but my preference will always be for the Wilbur products. The red and green peppermint crunch is a product manufactured and sold at Wilbur, but last year when I went to purchase the ingredients they had none left! I was able to make my own using red and green peppermint candies... unwrap them, put them into a freezer bag, put that bag into another freezer bag, cover with a towel, and bang the heck out of it with your rolling pin! Very similar taste, kind of fun for stress relief too!
Happy Holidays! Enjoy!

White Christmas Candy (from the kitchen of my friend, Virginia Young)

Ingredients
2 pounds white chocolate wafers
1/2 pound red & green peppermint crunch
1/4 pound dark chocolate wafers

Directions
Melt white chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint crunch. Spread on to 2 wax paper covered cookie sheets. Melt dark chocolate and drizzle over candy. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Break into small pieces and store in plastic containers or plastic freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment