Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October 18, 2011- Chicken & Asparagus Risotto

Okay- so if you don't have a picky eater in your family, this recipe will be SUPER easy only requiring one pan. I modified this recipe from one I found in a magazine called Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto. I'll write up my recipe first and then post the original recipe below that. It was really good and my husband even enjoyed it. Another perk, not too bad on calories. Myfitnesspal calculated my serving at 570 calories, but that can easily be cut by 110 if you only have 1/2 cup of the risotto.

Chicken and Asparagus Risotto (Serves 2)
Chicken Tenderloins (I cooked a whole pound, but only used 1/2 pound for tonight and will use the rest another night this week)
1 bunch of asparagus (tips only, 1-2 inches)
1 box Creamy Parmesan Risotto
2 garlic cloves (minced)

1. In a saucepan, cook the risotto according to the directions on the box.
2. While this cooks, salt and pepper the chicken and cook over med-high heat (I used a setting of 5 and my stove goes up to 8). Remove the chicken and place on a back burner not in use. Reduce the heat on this burner to a low setting.
3. Place a small fry pan on the burner, add a little EVOO and toss in the garlic. After a minute add the asparagus. Saute until tender. I added a little bit of water a few times so it didn't get too crisp.
4. When asparagus is just about done add chicken tenders into pan with asparagus to reheat.
5. Serve over risotto. Or, if you are feeding some like my husband, plate his into 3 separate portions... asparagus, chicken, and risotto :)

This was 30 minutes start to finish. 3 pans... a little much for my liking, but not too bad. The original recipe (below) can be done all in one pan.

Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto (Serves 4)
1 lb shrimp, peeled
2 boxes garlic primavera risotto
8 oz fresh asparagus, ends trimmed, cut to 1.5-2 inch lengths

1. Heat 1 TBSP oil in a 12-in nonstick skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and saute 2-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add rice to skillet, stir 30 seconds. Stir in 5 cups water and seasoning packets. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes; stirring occassionally.
3. Stir in asparagus; simmer 7 minutes. Stir in shrimp and any juices; cook 1 minute or until asparagus and rice are tender and shrimp is heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment